What is VetAssist®?
VetAssist® is a program partner with WILS. We work together with you to help veterans and the surviving spouses of veterans get the benefits they deserve. You can choose to use the Veterans Aid & Attendance Pension funds for care at home with WILS.
About the Veterans Aid & Attendance Pension benefit
Title 38 of the United States Code was passed in 1952 by Congress. It created what is now known as the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). One of the benefits available is the Veterans Aid & Attendance Pension benefit. (Non-Service Connected Pension, with “Aid & Attendance.” )
WILS can provide you with the assistance you need to remain independent at home
Services may include:
- Help with bathing
- Help with dressing
- Medication reminders
- Meal preparation
- Transferring to and from bed
- Personal care
- Respite care
- Light housekeeping
- Additional services – including help to access other community resources to improve your quality of life.
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Military: Are you a veteran or the surviving spouse of a veteran who served at least 90 days on active duty, at least one day during wartime with an honorable discharge? (Persian Gulf War veterans must have two years of active duty or the full period of which they were called for active duty.)
- Medical: Do you have a non service-connected medical condition causing you to need assistance with activities of daily living?
- Money: Do you have a net worth at or less than $129,094? (limit established by Congress 12.1.2019) A primary residence and auto are not counted as part of net worth. Ongoing non-reimbursable medical and long-term care expenses may reduce your countable income.
VA Defined War Periods
- World War II: Dec 7, 1941-Dec. 31, 1946
- Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950-Jan. 31, 1955
- Vietnam Era: Aug. 5, 1964-May 7, 1975 For veterans who served Feb. 28, 1961-Aug 5, 1964, must have served “in country” (Vietnam).
- Persian Gulf War: Aug 2, 1990- date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law. Must have served active duty for two years or the full period of which the veteran was called for active duty.
WILS works with VetAssist® to get veterans care at home
- We help you determine if you qualify for the VA Aid & Attendance Pension Benefit.
- We assist you to identify and obtain documents needed for the application.
- We help you complete and submit the application to the VA.
- We provide your home care right away.
- VetAssist® furnishes an interest-free loan so you can pay for your home care while the VA processes your application.
- We monitor your application’s progress, and assist with responses to VA requests for additional information until your pension is approved.