WILS Ramp Program constructs ADA wheelchair ramps and other minor home modifications for individuals with disabilities and the elderly in order to make their residences accessible. Unfortunately, there is a limited amount of assistance available for such installations.
WILS Ramp Program is made possible through grants, corporate and individual donations and fund raising activities. Payment or co-payments may be required for ramp materials.
WILS ADA Ramp Construction Guidelines
- Consumer must have a physical disability and the need for ramp must be directly related to disability to increase the individual’s independence
- Individual must reside in WILS Service Area of Benton, Lafayette, Henry, Johnson, Saline and Pettis Counties in Missouri.
- The individual requesting the ramp construction or home modification must have no other means of obtaining the needed ramp or home modification. Other means could include; family, landlord/property owner, VA assistance, Rural Housing, insurance.
- Consumer must meet income guidelines for reduced co-payment for ramp materials
- Consumer has no other resources for cost of or construction of ramp
- Length of residence requirement will be at least 6 months at current residence.
- The home must be in good enough condition to support the modification(s).
- Consumers may receive 1 ramp or home modification per household per 5 years.
- WILS will not construct ramps or make home modifications to housing units where a combination of living units total 3 or more, apartment buildings, group homes or boarding houses.
- Construction of ramps and home modifications is performed by WILS skilled, ramp home modification specialist and/or volunteers (when available).
- Construction of ramps must be built to ADA specifications and guidelines. These specifications and guidelines may determine where and how the ramp is placed on the property.
- Once the ramp build is completed the ramp is not the property of WILS. All repairs and upkeep of the ramp is the responsibility of the property owner.
If property is rented or leased:
- Tenant must advocate to the landlord or property owner to make the improvements to the property in order to make the home accessible.
- Tenant must obtain written permission of the owner to make the modifications.
- Tenant must be current on rent paid and not have an eviction action pending.
If you are interested in making a donation so someone can have safe access to their home please click on the donate button or contact WILS Ramp Coordinator at 1-800-236-5175 or 660-422-7883.